Seasonal recipes for March. Sauerkraut, pickled vegetables and root vegetables should still be there. Or if you feel brave, pick some nettles (make sure you get the right weed!) and make nettle soup! Lots of vegetarian and vegan meals to choose from!
Soya contains isoflavones which can help with menopausal symptoms, like hot flushes and mood swings. The essential fatty acids in the seeds can help with stiffness in the joints as well as brittle nails and hair. Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc and sesame seeds are high in calcium - so as well as b...
• Serves: 8-10 • Preparation Time: 30 minutes • Cooking Time: 60-75 minutes
• Serves: 2 • Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes • Cooking Time: 0 minutes
Seasonal fact: because root vegetables store pretty well, you can still get British grown celeriac, turnips, carrots and onions in March.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes • Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
This lentil dish is vegan, seasonal and gluten free. Because you are only using onions and chives as 'vegetables', you can eat this seasonally from March right until the end of October.
• Serves: 2-3 • Preparation Time: 10 minutes • Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Spicy vegetarian burgers with (homemade) piccalilli.
• Serves: 2-3 • Cooking Time: 45-60 minutes
Nettle soup is not weird, not awful and not stingy! Go on, have a try! This deep-green soup is high in certain minerals and vitamins. They are extremely high in vitamin A (40% compared to 28% in carrots!). They are also high in calcium and iron, minerals women need lots of.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes • Cooking Time: 15 minutes
These tasty pancakes are made with gluten free oat flour and Mheat streaky rashers. Suitable for a vegetarian diet.
• Serves: 4-6 • Preparation Time: 10 minutes • Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Dahl is an important part of Indian cuisine and often eaten with rice and vegetables. It’s a very healthy way of getting enough protein in your diet and red lentils also contain lots of fibre and vitamin B, essential for a proper nervous system.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 15 minutes • Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
Sadly, I couldn’t find a gluten free and vegan/vegetarian mince, so I’ve gone for the gluten free one. The Quorn vegetarian mince contains egg white, so is not suitable for vegans. There is a vegan one available from Vegi Deli, but that’s made with wheat flour, so not gluten free.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 120 minutes • Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
Another warming soup. Soups are great meals if you serve them with some (rye) bread spread with almond butter, butter, margarine or cheese.