Seasonal recipes for the month April. April is a bit leaner in fresh produce, but things like sorrel, spring greens, rhubarb and spring cauliflower should all be available. Don't want to eat meat? There are plenty of vegetarian recipes to try!
Cauliflower should be available from mid to late April. You can use dried or tinned chickpeas. Add extra time when using dried chickpeas.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes • Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
A thick, warming traditional Irish dish, with Dulse seaweed for an extra rich savoury flavour.
• Serves: 6 • Preparation Time: 15-25 minutes • Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
This is a very Dutch recipe and is usually served at outdoor ice skating events, where it is known as ‘snert’, which I cannot translate at all. It’s actually more of a winter warmer, but since it has been so cold and winter like, I thought you might enjoy it. Plus, there are no spring greens avail...
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 20 minutes • Cooking Time: 120-160 minutes
This fried rice uses carrots and leeks, which are still available. And when you have grown them yourself, these will be the last before the new lot is ready!
• Serves: 2 • Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes • Cooking Time: 60 minutes
If you fancy adding a little bit of luxury to your breakfast or evening meal then this cream gourmet omelette is worth a try.
• Serves: 1-2 • Preparation Time: 5 minutes • Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Ground elder was introduced to the UK by the Romans as a vegetable who loved eating it, so why don't we? Ground elder can be cooked like spinach and substituted as such. Quick and simple to make!
• Serves: 2 • Preparation Time: 5 minutes • Cooking Time: 10 minutes
A pub favourite, but with a healthy twist
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes • Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
This is a tasty variety to the original nettle soup. Nettles are very healthy indeed and what way better than to weed your garden and have a free meal in the process?? One note of caution: nettles are quiet easily identified, but make sure you know what you're picking is nettle and ground elder! A ...
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 30 minutes • Cooking Time: 25 minutes
A delicious, spicy pickle of carrot and radishes, which are in season now and the coming months.
• Serves: 2-3 • Preparation Time: 20 minutes • Cooking Time: 5-10 minutes
Simple, nutritious, vegan, and ideal for picnics!
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes • Cooking Time: 30 minutes
A green soup to celebrate the start of Spring! If you can't find sorrel, you can substitute it with spinach, although sorrel has a slightly acidic flavour. Sorrel can't be consumed by people suffering from kidney stones.
• Serves: 2 • Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes • Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
Tempeh is made from fermented cooked soya beans. It is very popular in Indonesia and other Eastern countries. The firm texture and slightly nutty flavour makes tempeh a flavoursome alternative to tofu.
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 5 minutes • Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Who says you can’t have chocolate puddings without dairy?! I thought it would be hard to get a soft consistency, but the whipped Soyatoo cream worked really well and in a blind taste test, dairy eaters, wouldn't realize this chocolate pudding is actually vegan!
• Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 20 minutes • Cooking Time: 240 minutes
This Pad Thai recipe is absolutely delicious.
• Serves: 2-3 • Preparation Time: 20 minutes • Cooking Time: 10 minutes
As long as you know which weed is which, you can make very healthy dishes for virtually nothing!
• Serves: 2 • Preparation Time: 10-30 minutes • Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes